Friday, August 04, 2006

Woman's Touch



When I was in London, I visited the Gilbert Collection gallery which is a collection of silver and decorative qualities. Especially, I found the Italian micromosaics very interesting. But the reason that I am writing about this gallery is not the collection. It is the founder of it whose name is Sir Arthur Gilbert. What attracted my attention was that this guy had changed his family name from Bernstein to Gilbert in 1934 when he married Rosalinde Gilbert, a talented young dress designer. Afterwards, they started their own evening gown business with Rosalinde as the designer and Arthur as the salesman, book-keeper. The happy omen of a woman’s touch made him such a good fortune that at the age 36 he was rich enough to get retired.

Considering that this event has been 70 years ago, I find it admirable. I think even now it is quite rare that men change their family name to one of their wives.

No comments: