Thursday, September 13, 2007

The price of being Iranain

Yesterday one of the professors in our group asked me to choose 1 out of 10 Iranian applicants for a PhD position. He does the same with other applicants from other countries such as India, china, Ukraine. When I told him that I knew some good candidate whom he might be interested, he said that Iranians are one of his last options because:
1- It is difficult to invite them for an interview because of visa problems and so on.
2- The other important reason is that this is a simulation project and they need to use supercomputer whose server is American and the university board has signed a contract that does not allow the people from some countries in a black list which includes Iran too to use such facilities.

It seems that the problematic relation between Iran and America shows itself indirectly in such unexpected situations. Worse than that, we might all know that it is almost 30 years that we are banned to buy the planes which more than 10% of their constituent parts are made in America. As a result we have a lot of plane crashes in Iran that take the life of a lot of innocent people. Some airlines like Mahan Air should be shut down since with their current status they do not meet the international standards. All of these have direct consequences for Iranians and make their lives even more cumbersome.

I just feel a deep sorrow when I think about these issues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is price of being different from other countries,
price of knowing what is happening, and being silent,
price of,....

some days back I was also thinking about this airline problem, I became to the age 27 years old airplane in wikipedia for iranian airplanes,...
and I was thinking about capturing of us embassy in that time by some people, indeed how this people could live in peace?
at the time that many people has be killed in airplane accidents,...
and many people are suffering because of their action outside of iran,...