Friday, June 23, 2006

Down the rabbit hole


Last Saturday, I watched the movie "What the Bleep? Down the rabbit hole" directed by William Arntz.
It is a movie about the concepts of quantum physics. The movie tries to explain the concepts in a simple language for non-physicists, but it can be quite interesting for physics as well.
It also tries to connect the quantum concepts to biology, psychology and philosophy. It includes interviews with scientist as well as nice cartoons for demonstration. For example there was a cartoon about the famous experiment of Young double slits to demonstrate wave nature of electrons. I found it quite illuminative and pedagogical. Even me trained as a physicist, hearing it several times enjoyed it. Partly the story of science is told through a life a woman photographer who is feeling down and somehow sulky with the world, especially that she has divorced her husband recently.
She is looks at the world through the gloomy window of her life experiences. She keeps distance from the surroundings and people around. It is tried in the movie to show that she should look through different eyes and lenses to feel the joy of life again. Parallel to the story of quantum physics it shows how she is coming back to the life to enjoy its glory and fun. The director tries to make an analogy between the different ways of looking at life and measurement process in quantum physics. The fact that what we observe depends on the method we are measuring and the outcome of our experiments are affected with the way disturb the system.

Being for a long time in the down mood and going through the same line of experiences, I really could connect to the movie at different levels, as if the movie was made for me. I could relate to it in different aspects. I enjoy photography and I know that having the same camera and object to take a picture, you can shoot totally different pictures depending on the way you are looking at it. I remember how I could solve some of the problems in my mind by making the analogy between laws governing life and the physics rules. To me going from one culture and society to another is the same as changing your frame of reference. The general rules do not change however their expressions might change. There are invariant morals in all the societies as the unity tensors that are the same in all the frames.
I found the transition from being religious to choosing your own way of life according to your experiences and common sense was the same as transition from classical to quantum mechanics. Even in quantum physics, the most probable path is the classical one, but other paths are also possible and as well accepted. Through changing my way of looking at life and feeling the relativity of righteousness of things, I could reconcile with life and feel the joy of life.



I really enjoyed watching the movie. It made me excited enough to feel pleased of my choice to study physics. Especially that recently, I am nagging a lot about my work and sometimes I feel bored. I think that is because of what I am doing in this stage of my project. It reminded me of the nice fantasy that I had about science in my teen ages. Not only it revived that enthusiasm of that period, it motivated me to learn more about biology and neurology.

I really had fun with it and I wanted to watch it once more, but it is not anymore in the cinema.

No comments: